Sunday, November 12, 2006

Wednesday, August 9, 2006

Glad I don't sleep in a sink.
Glad I don't sleep in a sink.

One of the things that has been on my heart recently is helping the needy. I have been looking for ways to contribute at my church. I realized is that there are more people out there who need help than just my church. I ran across an article about how the homeless shelter did not have enough volunteers over the summer, and that it can be a very busy time because of the heat.


I feel very blessed to have a home to live in. I have air conditioning. If it wasn't for my mom, I would not be here today. I have taken care of patients with no air conditioning. How they make it through the summer with no electricity is beyond me. I can't make it without air in my car. I feel so spoiled. I am so blessed.


I want other people not to have to worry about things like basic needs. Sometimes I worry what is for dinner, but I know I am going to eat. Some people worry where their next meal is coming from. I may not be rich compared to some, but I sure have a lot to offer to those who have nothing.


So here I am declaring publicly that I am going to volunteer myself at least once a month to help the underresourced in DuPage County. My first step begins today. DuPage PADS helps the homeless. I filled out an online application to volunteer.

What can YOU do to make a difference?


Sometimes all that people need is LOVE. I am not suggesting you run up and hug a homeless person. What I am suggesting is that you NOT ignore the people that you normally would. Sometimes it might be the nasty neighbor, or the quiet checker at the grocery store, or that person you see at work all the time but know nothing about. Share the love of Jesus. Let them know that there are humans out there that pay attention to people that tend to slip through the cracks.


Sometimes all it takes is a smile! Image I know it sounds cheesy. That would be me though, cheese.

follow up... I applied but they never replied to me...

No comments: