Sunday, November 12, 2006

Wednesday, August 16, 2006

I feel pretty, oh so pretty...
I feel pretty, oh so pretty...

I am not the type of person to wear makeup and do my hair and nails every day. I shower and wear deodorant and perfume, but looks have not always been my priority.

I have a really good reason for never doing my nails. I bite them. Yes, I have a horrible habit of chewing them off until they are up to the nail bed. Everytime I wear nail polish, I tend to feel like Frankenstein's monster. I do like painting my toes. For several years it has been my "hidden" beautification thing that I do just for me. Of course in the summer, when I wear sandals, people see them. I like to see my toes all pretty when I look at them in the shower or bath. Several times I have attempted to pain my fingernails, only to get frustrated and erase my many attempts with polish remover.

Yesterday at the store, I saw some polish for half off, so I indulged and got this sparkly pink color. I cleared off the heavy burgandy from my toes and gave it a whirl. Wow, this is not as heavy as I thought. So I decided to try it on my fingers, half expecting to not like it. But I did. Two coats and my fingers still look good.

I never thought that I would be able to wear nail polish, especially to work. Here I am. The thing that prompted me to write this, however, is that I cannot stop looking at my nails. The sparkling catches my eyes, yes, but it is more than that. This pink goes so naturally with my body color, that I do not look eccentric in anyway. Who knows how this goes, but maybe I can stop biting my nails. That would be a miracle, I have bitten them my whole life and tried everything to quit.

Maybe the sparkles hide imperfections in the polish that would normally distract me and cause me to eradicate any evidence at my attempt. Maybe I am just growing up and getting better. Maybe the shade is more forgiving with errors. Who knows.

I feel really giddy and schoolgirlish. I think it is hilarious that nail polish can do this to me. I like feeling pretty. Honestly I would do my hair and make up if I had more time and it wouldn't get all ruined with my job.

Mom was not a big makeup person. She wore makeup only once that I ever remember, to a ball or some fancy outing that parents do and kids don't understand. I learned to do my make up from her sister, my wonderful Aunt Robin. I also remember when "Auntie" Chrissy used to doll me up in make up and paint my nails. I loved it.

My question I find myself pondering is: why do I feel that need to be dolled up and pretty when I am loved by Dave and others just the way I am? Why do I like sparkles and glitter and makeup? If you have any opinions, please post a comment.

In the meantime, I feel like Jack Nicholson in Anger Management. Sing if you know the words, "I feel pretty, oh so pretty, I feel pretty and whitty and bright...."

Lyrics: I Feel Pretty
Lyrics: I Feel Pretty
Please see previous blog entry...
maydot I Feel Pretty maydot
Music by Leonard Bernstein and Words by Stephen Sondheim
from the musical West Side Story


(Maria)
I feel pretty
Oh so pretty
I feel pretty and witty and gay
And I pity
Any girl who isn't me today
I feel charming
Oh so charming
It's alarming how charming I feel
And so pretty
That I hardly can believe I'm real

See the pretty girl in that mirror there
Who can that attractive girl be?
Such a pretty face
Such a pretty dress
Such a pretty smile
Such a pretty me!

I feel stunning
And entrancing
Feel like running and dancing for joy
For I'm loved
By a pretty wonderful boy!

(Girls)
Have you met my good friend Maria
The craziest girl on the block?
You'll know her the minute you see her
She's the one who is in an advanced state of shock

She thinks she's in love
She thinks she's in Spain
She isn't in love
She's merely insane

It must be the heat
Or some rare disease
Or too much to eat
Or maybe it's weed

Keep away from her
Send for Chino!
This is not the Maria we know!
Modest and pure
Polite and refined
Well-bred and mature
And out of her mind!

Miss America! Speech! Speech!

(Maria) I feel pretty
Oh so pretty
That the city should give me its key
A committee
Should be organized to honor me

I feel dizzy
I feel sunny
I feel fizzy and funny and fine
And so pretty
Miss America can just resign!

(Girls)
See the pretty girl in that mirror there
What mirror where?
Who can that attractive girl be?
(Which? What? Where? Whom?)
Such a pretty face
Such a pretty dress
(Whom? Whom?)
Such a pretty smile
Such a pretty me!
(Whom?)

I feel stunning
And entrancing
Feel like running and dancing for joy
For I'm loved
By a pretty wonderful boy

No comments: