Sunday, November 12, 2006

Thursday, July 27, 2006

MEGA-CHURCH experienced, MEGA RAMBLINGS ensue by Shelley
MEGA-CHURCH experienced, MEGA RAMBLINGS ensue by Shelley

Well, ever since I took the plunge in March and got baptized, I have been digging deeper into what God wants in my life. So much of that is community, and to start you need a church. I found a great one, Community Christian Church. It is great, they have either TWO Saturday night services, or a 1pm on Sunday. For me, that is awesome. I work nights, and it is really hard to get my butt anywhere before noon. They also have 9:30 and 11, but I am not running a commercial here. My point is that it is the community, or the PEOPLE that make a church. I have just started getting to know them and getting involved. I am excited to contribute more... I am rambling again.

My new friend, Jenifer, took me to experience something completely new tonight. We went to Willow Creek in BuFu, I mean South Barrington. It took us a long half hour ride (from her work, would take another half to her house) to arrive. If you have never been this way, first I must say this... now I know where Bruce Wayne would live if Gotham were Chicago. There were these huge, and I mean gigantic, houses out there. With property! (Out here there are large houses with dinky yards.) Like picture a mansion.... those type of houses. Ok, that was neat, but I still was not prepared for what I saw next. The campus of this church (yes, this church requires a campus) was larger than most universities! I could only imagine what it took financially to get this gigantic, gorgeous, well manacured piece of property with gigantic, gorgeous, well manacured building(s). I am torn about it. I know it reaches tons of people, but I also wonder if that money could have bought a small country in Africa. Do people need waterfalls at their church? I like the idea of a bookstore, or coffee/snack shop. This cafeteria was the best I have ever, ever seen! Tons of different stations: soup, salad, baked potato bar, deli, grill, mexican, fish, too many to remember!

So we eat, browse the bookstore, then enter the auditorium. My high school auditorium has a balcony. This one has two upper decks! Everything was state of the art, cameras, video, audio... even the cushions were extremely comfy. Infact, I do not know if I have ever sat in a more comfortable staduim or theatre seat. Not that it needed to be comfy... we stand for at least 3 worship songs, and the speaker was so great he had me at the edge of my seat! I never thought I could go to church and leave feeling like I went to a comedy show, only better. My friend Jenifer found the phrase I was looking for on the way home... "pure joy."

We actually were talking about baptism, and how watching others get dunked elicits the feeling of pure joy. Non Christ Followers might relate to that feeling watching their child get born. Baptism is exactly that to me... being born. Only this time, its being born into God, into ETERNAL LIFE. Okay, sidebar over.

I really liked the experience, and I can see how so many people keep coming back. I was stoked to read the upcoming list of guest speakers. You get those type of visitors when you are the most influential church (non Catholic). Not to go back to my non-advertising, but CCC is #13 on the list. Oddly enough, the pastor from #14 was our guest speaker. (Sadly, Jerry Fawell is #27 but I suppose he is influential.) Oddly enough, there is a church in my hometown that made the list. So why do I drive past 500 churches to get to Naperville? I just know that God wants me there. That and the afternoon service on Sunday. Oh and this page on the College Church website. I don't believe that a church should exclude anyone from membership if they smoke or have a glass of wine with dinner or go to an R-rated movie! I believe that God knows my heart, and He sets the bounds. My church doing so would make Jesus cry. Think about it... if Jesus were here today, he would be in the smoky dives ministering to the lost. If it takes you a long time to quit smoking after accepting Jesus, that is between you and HIM.

Ok, once again I have gone off on a tangent. Pardon me while I take the log(s) out of my eyes. Must fight the urge to discuss liquor...

So my open poll is this:what is your take on the "Mega-Church"? Willow isn't the only one. They are cropping up all over.

I know I won't drive up to BuFu, I mean South Barrington, just to go to church. But it might work for some people. The crowd is too much for me, and I know that I would get lost there, its just my personality. I am super happy where I am, with where God lead me to be. Wherever he brings me to next, I am ready.


No comments: