Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Making friends


Making friends is hard for me. I have been hurt deeply by others, so I enter relationships guarded. I wish I could trust that they weren't going to eat me up, like this cat trusts the Shepard. I feel vulnerable, like this cat. People who are going to be good friends are going to understand that and let me build it slowly with them.

Take my friend Annie for instance. She and I had lunch yesterday. I went to her house, she made me totally comfortable, and I really enjoyed myself (thanks Annie!) She could still tell I was guarded, even though I couldn't, and she understood, she didn't push me. This is great, and will totally help me to open myself up to her the next time we get together.

Building trust takes time, but you have to be vulnerable to it if you are ever to get it back. Thanks to all my new friends for making me feel safe. I love you beyond measure. Most of all, thanks to God, who put these wonderful people in my life.

4 comments:

ZoeyBella said...

I agree about making friends. I can be a very social person, but I don't go out of my way. I've been burned too many times in the past.

cestmoi19 said...

Yes, the ones who let you be the way you are, are the people who can be good friends. Heck, if Mike couldn't take it that I am reserved at first with people, and would rather answer questions about me than ask them of other people, he wouldn't be my best friend and we never would have gotten married!
Side-note: my secret word I had to type was "weege". Just thought it was funny :)

Shelley said...

It saw you, and KNEW you needed a cute word like weege.

cestmoi19 said...

Tee hee..."weege" tee hee hee