Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Why Worship Music is MY Quiet Place

Yesterday I had an awesome one-on-one with my coach. I love how he asks me questions that get me to evaluate my thinking and thoughts and behaviors.

I think I realized how much my quiet time is really, really loud. I said I cannot still my heart for God until I am listening to music. This weekend at the concert, I was alone with God among 10,000+ people. I said that if I go off to the forest preserve, I hear birds, insects, wind, people, and traffic. You know what I do to focus on God? I sing a song in my head! When I am listening to music, all I can hear is God. I look at the sky, or the ceiling and take my focus off the people. I look up to avert my eyes from the world so I can focus on the Lord.

I also see God in other stuff, but I am my most intense, the most quiet in my soul, listening to God the most in the midst of loud music. Maybe it blocks out everything else, maybe its just how I am wired. In heaven, I certainly will be dancing and swirling and doing flips and clapping and raising hands. On Earth, I am doing less jumping, and doing flips, its harsh on this body. I have been suffering much in my low back since Sunday.

Maybe its how I am wired, or how I was raised, or both. Maybe its so I can justify my iPod as a spiritual growth expense, not entertainment. Music means that much to me. I desire to be able to play guitar or drums or sing, but that is not my gift. I can try, but my voice when I sing is for God alone, and if everyone else hates it, I know my King is delighting in me.

"
Everyone needs compassion, A love that's never failing, Let mercy fall on me, Everyone needs forgiveness, A kindness of a Savior, The hope of nations... Savior, He can move the mountains, my God is mighty to save, He is mighty to save.... Forever, author of salvation, He rose and conquered the grave, Jesus conquered the grave... So take me as You find me, All my fears and failures, Fill my life again, I give my life to follow, Everything I believe in, Now I surrender... Shine your light and let the whole world see, we are singing for the glory of the Risen King. Jesus." -"Mighty to Save" by Hillsong

Thanks to Lisa :) for letting me steal, er borrow her rainbow photo, visit her blog sometime.

1 comment:

Snaggle Tooth said...

I agree that music is a spiritual experience.
I feel that way without religous-toned lyrics as well. It feels good, n is one of the best gifts we've been given, to be able to appreciate created music.

My ability to write my own tunes n play instruments is never taken for granted, it's amazing n treasured-