Monday, July 28, 2008

Post Not-So-Secret


There was a time in my life when I would drive down the street and see Jesus hanging from the cross on every utility pole. I had to make myself stop. I can still see it if I want to.

In my Bible reading, I am still in Romans 5. I am going through the Message, so that scripture is fresh to me. Romans 5 is kicking my butt still.

Click here to read it online.

There is so much I could point out. Like why I associated Romans 5:6-8 specifically to me seeing Jesus hanging from utility poles. This sentence in particular sticks out :
"He presented himself for this sacrificial death when we were far too weak and rebellious to do anything to get ourselves ready." I was far too weak and rebellious. I was that sinner that held Jesus to the cross.

But it didn't just end at Jesus's death. No, He rose from the grave, He conquered death. So, now I have this chance at a resurrection life that He offers.
"If, when we were at our worst, we were put on friendly terms with God by the sacrificial death of his Son, now that we're at our best, just think of how our lives will expand and deepen by means of his resurrection life! Now that we have actually received this amazing friendship with God, we are no longer content to simply say it in plodding prose. We sing and shout our praises to God through Jesus, the Messiah!" So what is this resurrection life?

This is the chance to start over, the chance to be clean. The end of chapter 5 compares Adam's sin to Jesus's redemption. It is actually quite a beautiful allegory. From the second Adam screwed up, Jesus was intended to redeem us. It took quite a few years, but it happened. "
If death got the upper hand through one man's wrongdoing, can you imagine the breathtaking recovery life makes, sovereign life, in those who grasp with both hands this wildly extravagant life-gift, this grand setting-everything-right, that the one man Jesus Christ provides?" Oh, let me grasp this life-gift with both hands! Reading that sentence, or should I say, misreading that sentence, I saw a phrase that is not really there, but it is. See the words "recovery life" together? What they intended recovery as a verb, I saw as an adjective. Maybe its because I work in the support and recovery ministry.

Jesus offers us the chance at recovery. This "resurrection life" I am living, in modern terms is also a "recovery life." Have you ever met someone that truly embraces their recovery? They sing and shout the praises! I have embraced Jesus! I want to sing and shout HIS PRAISE!!!!

Anywho, back to living this resurrection life, instead of sitting on the computer typing about it.

Thanks to Jason, this will include a "Balls Tee." I think I am a mega-dork, but I love this idea.
Maybe I can get my photo taken with one or several pastors at church in the shirt. Hey, its a NewThing, baby.


1 comment:

cestmoi19 said...

And our weigh in today is?