Friday, June 1, 2007

Adventurously expectant



I love how children always have these wide eyes. They are unsure of what to expect next. My kids (the dog and cat) are no longer babies, but they still look at me with this "what's next mom?" look on their faces. They find me and Dave fascinating, and that in itself fascinates me. I look to them, because I don't have people kids to remind me what it is like to be that way. It reminds me of this passage from Romans 8:15 in the Message:
This resurrection life you received from God is not a timid, grave-tending life. It's adventurously expectant, greeting God with a childlike "What's next, Papa?" God's Spirit touches our spirits and confirms who we really are. We know who he is, and we know who we are: Father and children. And we know we are going to get what's coming to us—an unbelievable inheritance! We go through exactly what Christ goes through. If we go through the hard times with him, then we're certainly going to go through the good times with him!

So, when I look forward to life, and what God has to offer, I am trying to be "adventurously expectant" and not afraid or timid. I know God is good. Why should I fear what comes my way? Whatever it is, God is going to use it for His purpose and glory, for something good. Yes, the waiting sucks! But, I know God is with me. More from Romans 8 in the Message:
All around us we observe a pregnant creation. The difficult times of pain throughout the world are simply birth pangs. But it's not only around us; it's within us. The Spirit of God is arousing us within. We're also feeling the birth pangs. These sterile and barren bodies of ours are yearning for full deliverance. That is why waiting does not diminish us, any more than waiting diminishes a pregnant mother. We are enlarged in the waiting. We, of course, don't see what is enlarging us. But the longer we wait, the larger we become, and the more joyful our expectancy.

Meanwhile, the moment we get tired in the waiting, God's Spirit is right alongside helping us along. If we don't know how or what to pray, it doesn't matter. He does our praying in and for us, making prayer out of our wordless sighs, our aching groans. He knows us far better than we know ourselves, knows our pregnant condition, and keeps us present before God. That's why we can be so sure that every detail in our lives of love for God is worked into something good.

It is so good to know that God's spirit is making prayer out of my aching groans... I groan a lot.

So now I am going to try to keep that childlike point of view, and instead of saying "what is life going to throw at me now?" I am going to say, "what is next, Papa?"

7 comments:

Shelley said...

Just so you know, these are not my cats, they are internet cats. I usually note when I put a picture of my own in. However, that does not stop them from being cute.

Neo said...

XRC - Cute kitty's!

I feel the same way about my Cody, when I come home from a long day and he starts talking to me; meowing not "talking talking," (I'm not that crazy.... yet)

They are like children, you feed them, and they give so much love in return and ask for so very little.

Now, if I could just get him to leave me alone when I go in the bathroom we'd be cool. :)

Peace & Hugs,

- Neo

Snaggle Tooth said...

Interesting view-point to ponder using the selected readings. Good job!

I know I feel a piece of my Creator's spirit is always within me, and we are part of each other, as surely as I breathe. I never ask what's next, just hope to endure whatever comes. I'm too brave, sometimes!

Thanks for clarifying the pics, it's tough getting pics that good of kittens. When mine were small, they never stopped moving! I got some running blurry pics, tho!

Have a good week!

Shelley said...

Neo, the other day I sat down on my "throne" and BOTH the dog and cat came up and put their front paws on me. What is it with animals? Do they think we are supposed to be worshiped on the throne or something?

Snagg, I adopted Phoebe as a teen cat, and didn't get to enjoy the tinyness of her. Now I get faces full of her big ol butt that more than make up for it.

Neo said...

XRC - I KNOW!!!!!! LOL, a little bit of peace without kitty pawas and head butts while on said throne would be too much too ask. hahahahaha, you should see him when he's in the tub, after I get done with traces maybe I'll post a pict of him when he plops around in the tub. :)

ZoeyBella said...

Kitties!!!!!! :D Really made my day :)

Shelley said...

okay, here is where I stole the kitties. you can have kitties too, everyday :
http://www.dailykitten.com/

its cute, and guess what:
http://dailypuppy.com/

for you dog fans. Add them to your feeders.