Wednesday, June 20, 2007

I don't glow in the dark, and you won't either.

After my lovely 5 days off in a row (the not quite a vacation vacation,) I head back into work today.

Sometimes the last thing I ever want to do is go to work. It is not that I hate my job, because I don't. It is just the fact that I have to work for a living and cannot live like a cat or dog, you know, the good life. I really enjoy what I do, I love taking care of patients and making their exams the best I can for them.

It is scary to be in the hospital. You don't know what is going on, and sometimes the doctors order all these tests and you don't know what they are and what they are for. Even a routine chest x-ray can frighten patients. I tell them that it is a screening tool that most doctors use when you come into the hospital, or come for surgery and it can tell you a lot of things. Also, they want a baseline for your admission should the situation change, that means get worse OR better. It is almost as routine as a CBC (that is a complete blood count, the most simple blood test there is.) A good rule of thumb is to never, ever lie to your patients. They always find out the truth.

Most people don't realize that the amount of radiation they receive from a chest x-ray is the equivalent to flying one hour in an airplane. Most people never hesitate to fly, but yet they question an x-ray the doctor orders. In other words, it is not that much radiation. Pilots and stewardesses get more radiation in their job than I do in mine.

And for the last time, x-rays do NOT make you glow in the dark! You would not believe how many times I hear people say this. Sometimes they are joking, but many times people are serious, they truly don't know this.

One of my favorite things to do is show kids what their insides look like on the x-rays. Most of them like it, and I encourage them to bring the x-rays to show and tell at school. I like to point out all the important parts to them; like in a chest x-ray: these lines are your ribs, these boxes are your spine, and this gray blob is your heart, the black area under the ribs is all the air in your lungs. Truthfully, I think many adults wish I would do that for them too.

What I cannot do is "read" your x-rays. That is up to the radiologist to do. He is a doctor, I am a technologist. Two years of school for me verses a billion years for the doctors, trust me you want them to read your films. Yes, I can see obvious fractures, but I bet you can too if I showed you the picture. Those are usually the people who come in with their arm going in two separate directions asking if it is broken before we take the x-ray, we can usually say yes, especially when the bone comes out through the skin, that is not normal.

I grew up being taught that the only dumb question is the one unasked. So, go ahead and ask me, because I don't mind. If I don't know I will say it. Some things I just cannot answer, or are better asked of your nurse or doctor, so don't be mad if I say so. Just don't ask if you will glow in the dark because I already answered that one.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the insight. I have needed only a few X-rays in my life and always nervous about them. Is it possible to change the glow of my teeth from blue to green? :)

Shelley said...

Blue to green depends on the background tint in the polyester itself. The tint is added to make it easier to see so it is not bright white. Good question.

Neo said...

XRC - I have an ouchie on my arm. Can I get treated? I've been sitting here filling out forms for 3 hours! What kind of hospital is this?

;)

Shelley said...

Ok, do you want me to kiss it and make it better? Cuz I ain't a doctor, and this ain't a hospital, and I ain't your momma...

There are some more forms, and we require payment first.

Thank you drive thru...

Neo said...

Neo looks at the lint in his pocket and his lips start to quiver

But I'm poor!!!!!!

Katrina said...

HAHA OK had to laugh and comment on this one! Since we've recently had pix taken of my 11yo old. This child has more pics of his head than any normal child should So can I expect him to glow any time soon?? And are you sure, that if the bone is sticking out isn't NORMAL?? :)

Katrina

Shelley said...

Neo, that "puss in boots" act is no good here. We expect payments from poor people. Only the rich ones get free stuff...

Katrina, instead you should expect your son to sprout another head very, very soon...

:)

Janus Torrell said...

Damn, no super powers even if you X-ray over and over. Comic books lied.

Will I at least get spider sense with a few more rads?

Shelley said...

No, you too will sprout a new head. If its spidey sense you desire, I suggest visiting a genetically engineered blue and red spider at a lab that gives tours to students before they know the ability of their "pretty" spiders.
(Even Stan Lee realized the error of his ways and re-wrote the story.)