Friday, June 15, 2007

Taming the tongue


The tongue can bring death or life; those who love to talk will reap the consequences. (Proverbs 18:21 NLT)

I ended my last post with that, and realized how often I end up like this cute little hamster here, shoving a carrot in my mouth to shut up.

I don't always say the best things. My tongue sometimes has a mind of its own. (Or my fingers in the case of the computer...)

So that has been on my mind. I realize I am a strait talker. I come off harsh, loud, brash. People who know me, really know me, know that I don't mean any harm. I come off as bossy. What happens when you put a bossy sounding person with someone who doesn't like it? Sparks fly. I don't mean anything of it, I don't mean to be bossy.

I really am trying to change. I am trying to have more intention with my words. Here are some verses I need to ponder... how about you?

Proverbs 13:3 "Those who control their tongue will have a long life; opening your mouth can ruin everything."

Proverbs 15:1-2 "A gentle answer deflects anger, but harsh words make tempers flare. The tongue of the wise makes knowledge appealing, but the mouth of a fool belches out foolishness.

Proverbs 15:26 "The heart of the godly thinks carefully before speaking; the mouth of the wicked overflows with evil words."

Proverbs 21:23 "Watch your tongue and keep your mouth shut, and you will stay out of trouble."

Matthew 15:11 "It’s not what goes into your mouth that defiles you; you are defiled by the words that come out of your mouth.”

Romans 10:9-10 "If you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is by believing in your heart that you are made right with God, and it is by confessing with your mouth that you are saved."

James 3:2-11 "Indeed, we all make many mistakes. For if we could control our tongues, we would be perfect and could also control ourselves in every other way.

We can make a large horse go wherever we want by means of a small bit in its mouth. And a small rudder makes a huge ship turn wherever the pilot chooses to go, even though the winds are strong. In the same way, the tongue is a small thing that makes grand speeches.

But a tiny spark can set a great forest on fire. And the tongue is a flame of fire. It is a whole world of wickedness, corrupting your entire body. It can set your whole life on fire, for it is set on fire by hell itself.

People can tame all kinds of animals, birds, reptiles, and fish, but no one can tame the tongue. It is restless and evil, full of deadly poison. Sometimes it praises our Lord and Father, and sometimes it curses those who have been made in the image of God. And so blessing and cursing come pouring out of the same mouth. Surely, my brothers and sisters, this is not right! Does a spring of water bubble out with both fresh water and bitter water? Does a fig tree produce olives, or a grapevine produce figs? No, and you can’t draw fresh water from a salty spring."

That is a lot of words, but all from God. I guess I have to put my tongue in His hands, and also do much biting.

3 comments:

Neo said...

XRC - Good post, my tongue is the same way. Sometimes I say things I don't mean, harsh words are hard to take back after they are let go. Remember XRC we're all human, and we all make mistakes.

Have a great weekend.

Peace & Hugs,

- Neo

Shelley said...

I know, it is easier to tame a lion than a tongue. That is why I need God so much! With Him, nothing is impossible!

Snaggle Tooth said...

In this respect you are much like my little sister, who also means no harm, but is just brutally honest (n knows it)!
People just deal with it strangely because they're used to holding back....