Sunday, August 5, 2007

Hard work leads to long nap



These are pictures of me and Dave when we got home last night. We helped out at the City of Lights day of service in east Aurora yesterday. You can read about it a little on Kirsten's blog. We had over 300 volunteers at three different grade schools (okay, one was a middle school) helping to improve the look of the schools for when kids come back in a few weeks. This is an impoverished area of the community, where it is hard for kids to care about school. Hopefully, making the schools look nicer and cleaner helps them to take some pride in the hard work that they do.

In particular, Dave and I helped to repaint some worn stairs at the school. Working with my husband was awesome, I really enjoyed it. I love it when I walked past the stairs and they were shining bright, and not dull and worn and dirty. Many people helped with landscaping. Wow, it just looked really good. Fresh mulch, new plants, flowers and trees were all around the school. Also a much needed power-washing occurred.

It was really awesome to watch all the people work together to get this accomplished. I really felt the blessing of God on us yesterday.

We culminated the night with live music, barbecue pork sandwiches, and a bilingual worship service. It was awesome!

When we got home (like around 6-6:30), Dave and I laid down to nap, and slept until 11pm! It was a good nap, well earned, but it dashed our plans for renting a movie. Oh well, missing out on the rental was worth it.

Now I pray that God is with us today as well. I have to face a fallen tree on a shed at Woodhaven. Be with me God, I need you today too!

3 comments:

Neo said...

XRC - That's nice of you guys. There needs to be more people like that in the world. Btw which one is which with the picts? ;)

Peace,

- Neo

Shelley said...

You can't tell which one is the girl Neo? I thought it was obvious...

Neo said...

Oh sorta missed the pink collar eh? *blush*