Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Busy week...

Tomorrow I have to be somewhere at 8:30 am. It is not like me to want to be somewhere that early. I am going to my church. They are a satellite site for the Willow Creek Leadership Summit. Two days of hearing from talented, experienced leaders. This should be cool.

Yesterday I was busy, and stayed up late to watch Batman Begins on our new, no-name DVD player. The player was attempt number 3 at getting a working DVD player, and I ended up getting the cheap no-name one to work. The first one skipped chapters at random moments. The second one wouldn't read any disc. This one works. Fancy names mean nothing in the long run.

Tonight is the wake for my friend's wife who passed recently. I won't be able to make it, much like I didn't make it for the wake of my co-worker who passed recently. If I am not related, I cannot get off work. Yet life is for living, and I know my friend will be surrounded by so many people that it wont matter much. He knows I am praying for him and his kids.

I remember my mom's wake, and how it was for catching up with all the people who did not come to visit her when she was alive and dying. No offense, but its hilarious how some people can make it to the funeral, but won't come visit while they are still alive. Dude...

My belief is WE ARE A SOUL, WE HAVE A BODY. Not we are a body and have a soul. Too many folks have that backwards. My mom is in her new body, dancing with my friend's wife in her new body, and having a great time in the presence of the Lord. I am not sad for her. I am sad for my friend's family and their loss. One day soon, all too soon, we will be up there with them.

My body aches and yawns for the next one, the eternal, painless one that doesn't need sleep. Until that time, I have to do the best I can. Speaking of which, I have things to do! Got to go...

1 comment:

Snaggle Tooth said...

I really hate wakes, but still, I hate missing them more, especially when the folks had made it to the funerals for my loved ones.
For some reason, showing the people left behind you really care about their loss can help you get over your own grief.

I never feel closure without the funeral, n have missed several this year myself. We don't get time off for anything without a request in advance or MD note. We're just not supposed to sleep to go...