Friday, January 4, 2008

The lottery


Today, I stopped at the gas station so my friend could buy smokes. It took forever, and he complained about how the person in front of him bought all of these lottery tickets, this scratch off, no wait that one, and then so many quick picks etc. It made me think about how many times I use the expression "if I ever win the lottery" which is ironic because I never play, and we all know that "you gotta be in it to win it!"

It is sad how people look to all sorts of different things to give them direction, and to be their source. Horrorscopes, fortune cookies, lottery tickets, their slacker girlfriend, Magic 8 ball... whatever it is, all of these things are not gonna be a place where answers can be found. Really, I mean if you take these things, they can apply to anyone, anytime, or not apply at all.

Where do you go? Well, if your car breaks, you go to a guy who knows cars, right? So if your life is broken, why not go to the guy who created life? God wants us to go to Him as our "go-to guy" and not to some cookie or piece of plastic made in China. He sent his son Jesus as an example, not just a sacrifice. I know its hokey to say WWJD? but its the best answer to your problem. How are you gonna know? I mean its not like God has a website, and even if He did, how would you know? We do know that God has a book, The Bible... read that. Pray, which is talking to God, and go be with people who know Him... yes, church.

Spending money on the lottery, just gets you broke. Its easier to be hit by lightning. But experiencing God happens every day.

No comments: