Thursday, February 25, 2010

Story

I always have a hard time starting a story.  I always want to go into the back-story and work up to the present.  It just seems so boring when I think about it that way.  I have been thinking a lot about story, my story, His story, and friends' stories.  I have been thinking about writing.

I think the first thing I need to do is just start.  Start in the action, and work the back-story in between, to make it more meaningful.  I have been watching Lost.  It wouldn't have been as interesting if we knew all of their stories before they were dumped on the island.  What is making Lost an addictive show is finding out their back-story along with the new adventures and how they all intertwine.

It reminds me of reading the Bible.  To be honest, if you pick it up and open the first page and try to read it like a story for the very first time, you won't get very far.  Leviticus, Numbers, heck even halfway through Exodus you might put the thing down.  What you need to do is get to know the main character first (Jesus) in the New Testament, then go back and read the back-story in the Old.  And because His story is so intense, it weaves its way in and out of the book so that once you "get it" you can enjoy the whole book, even all the way through, even several times.  I stopped counting how many times I read my way through the entire Bible.  I love it, and I feel that if you are a Christian, a Christ Follower, then you are truly missing out if you have not captured the Bible in its entirety as a whole.  That doesn't mean you don't get the gist of the story, it just means that it feels more complete that way to me.

Many people know me, or know of me, or spend some time with me.  Many people read my posts on Facebook or tweets on Twitter.  Some of you might even be reading this.  But do you know me?  How much of my back-story do you get? 

Here is where you say "but Shelley, you don't really even know me."  True.  How much do we truly know each other?  I know a part of your story, and some of this, and some of his, some of hers.  I have a background in psychology (meaning I took way too many college courses) and I have "creeped" you on Facebook or Twitter or just said hi to you in passing.  Maybe we even shared a meal or an event.  But what I truly know, what I am getting to know more and more fully, more intimately every day is God.  The same God who created me, created you, created this world we live in.  The same God sacrificed himself on the cross so that we may know him intimately.  The same God who was broken bread and poured out wine has asked me to become the same to you, for his sake.  For that reason, I love you.  For that reason I desire to know you.

In my journey, my story if you will, I find myself in the chapter where I am getting geared up.  I had been hiding in this cave of selfishness and pity and its time to get up and get out.  The sun is glaring though, so I sit at the mouth of the cave until I adjust to the brightness.  When I do adjust, I intend to go out there and mix with you.  I intend to share with you his story, maybe through a part of mine.  If you are into the tv show Lost, this is where I move out of the caves and back onto the beach so I can be in the light, and with the rest of the folks. 

What is it that this character will do?  What is her motivation?  What secrets does she have?  How does she overcome overwhelming odds to find happiness and joy in her life?  What must she leave behind in the caves because it weighs her down in the light? 

I am really excited to dive into this story, peel back some layers and get to the heart of it all.  And the best part is the book will have many sequels, perhaps even be a large part of a series, a collection even.  Write history with me.  Write His story with me.

No comments: