Thursday, October 2, 2008

I used to rule the world...

It used to be believed that the Sun revolved around the Earth. Aristotle believed it, it was in fact so much believed to be true that the Roman Catholic Church took it to be true and believed it to be supported by scripture. This is the Geocentric model of the universe. Galileo believed otherwise, and was kept under house arrest by the Roman Inquisition because of it. Heliocentrism is the belief that the Earth revolves around the Sun.

Funny how what we once thought to be the truth, turns out to be one of the biggest jokes in the history of the world, like thinking the Earth is flat. America was "discovered" because Columbus refused to believe this fallacy.

Another fallacy most of us fall into believing is that life revolves around us. We see things going on in life and feel like we can change the world, or at least influence it by our own power. This is where I was stuck at. See, I thought that I could actually change people's minds, change their decisions. I cannot. I cannot. I cannot. I have been doing this small group at Celebrate the Journey called "taking care of yourself" which is based on the book Co-dependent No More by Melody Beatty. It has opened my eyes to how much I really do try to "control" others.

What this morning's revelation revealed to me is that instead of asking God to help me, I should have been asking him how I could help him.

God is already working around us. Change is inevitable, and would happen even if we never existed. If God wants something to happen, it will happen with or without you, not because of you. But, God does want us to be a part of what he is doing. He does invite us into his work. The question is not can you do it, the question is do you want to be a part of it? When you decide to join God, humbly thank him for the opportunity to be a part of what he is doing. Thank you God for the privilege to be a small part of what you are doing.

Viva la Vida

1 comment:

Snaggle Tooth said...

Thanks for the book referrence your group is based on.

We are indeed blessed to feel God in our lives by helping others.
Even helping just one person- is worth a lifetime of trying.
That's why God doesn't give up on us-