Saturday, October 18, 2008

Broken hearts put in the fire

God does keep his promises. Every thing the Bible says tells me that. Every fiber in my being tells me that. Strength will rise as we wait upon the Lord... thank you Lincoln Brewster. So many passages.... I visit Bible Gateway and it reads: Verse of the day:

“Wait for the LORD; be strong and take heart and wait for the LORD.”- Psalm 27:14

Deuteronomy 31:6, Joshua 1:9... so much more



Via Pastor Steven Furtick:


“…The god who answers by fire-he is God.”
1 Kings 18:24

What do you do when you really need rain, but instead, God answers by fire?

In 1 Kings 18, Elijah declares to the people that God is going to show up and prove himself after 3 years of drought. And God does exactly that.
But…
When it hasn’t rained in over 3 years, and you hear that God is about to show up, wouldn’t you expect him to show up by sending rain?

I wonder how many of us are praying for God to send rain into an area of our lives, but it seems like He’s turning up the heat instead?
-Praying for God’s provision…but the bank account continues to dip
-Praying for God to grow your church…but another disgruntled faction just took their tithe and moved their membership elsewhere
-Praying for God to heal your marriage…yet your husband seems to be getting colder and more resistant by the day

It can be difficult to trust the intention of God when He’s forecasting more fire in your already scorched situation.
Remember:
God eventually did send the rain that Israel so desperately needed. But first He had to reveal His glory and authenticate His sovereignty by fire.

God often answers by fire before He sends the rain.
The fire incinerates our altars of idolatry, and burns away all of the false securities that we tend to trust in.
That way, when the sky finally opens, and the rain starts to pour, there’s no doubt:
He is God.

2 comments:

Snaggle Tooth said...

I've noticed this trend lately, myself. Maybe it helps us appreciate the power of the Creator more- tho Now I wonder if I keep asking to hit the lottery- Do I have to lose everything first?

Shelley said...

Ah, trick question. I think you have to be willing to lose it all.