Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Why I love Celebrate the Journey


Most of you know that I spend my Tuesday nights at church doing small groups. Some of you know that I do a support and recovery program. Few of you might know that I lead a twelve-step group.

First off, I serve with some awesome folks. I love the people I serve with and the people I serve. Secondly, large group rocks. We get together from 7-7:40 for large group. That means worship music (I love) and either a teaching or testimony. Also Diane often has nuggets of wisdom. Tonight Sherrie taught about being able to cry out to God and others for help when we are hurting.

It is scary to admit you are not fine. I haven't been fine. My friends could see that in me. I even had a coffee and still looked tired. Like the puppies above, they could tell I was down. "What is going on with you?" they ask me, "I can tell you are not okay." They know they better call me out, and that I really appreciate it. I do. I love that someone cares enough to check on me.

I have been really sad. The second anniversary of my mom's passing is coming up. Some days it feels like 2 million years, sometimes, times like now, it feels like 2 days. I am a totally different person than I was two years ago, and I am completely confident that my mom would be more proud of me than anyone else. And God has put wonderful women in my life that more than fill my mother's roll. It still doesn't make it hurt any less. It still doesn't make me miss her any less.

We saw the video from Indiana Jones where he has to take the leap of faith. I listen to Nicole Nordeman sing "what if you jump, just close your eyes..." and I remember the reason I am doing so well. I took that step of faith when I had nothing to cling to but the promise of God. "What if the arms that catch you, catch you by suprise?" I read the Bible every day, and more and more I am assured of God's love. I know he is there.

Yet God never promises there will not be pain and sorrow. In Isaiah 53:3, Jesus is called a man of sorrows, acquainted with the deepest grief. In John 11:35 it says Jesus wept. Jesus cried often. Once he was so worried he sweat blood (Luke 22:44). Does that make the pain any better?

No, but it makes it easier to bear.

God doesn't say he will keep us from the fire and floods. He says he will be with us in the fire and as we cross the river (Isaiah 43:2). I know God was with me when my house caught on fire. I may not have felt it, but looking back on it, oh boy you can't miss it. Daily I drive past a house that nearly burned down and they have to entirely rebuild the garage. I got through it. I came out stronger.

I know God is with me now, but I still hurt. Celebrate the Journey lets me be with other people who know that kind of hurt. It lets me share and be with people who understand there is no place to look to but to God in times like these. Having the relationship with God that I do now, and did not have two years ago, reminds me why I keep coming back every week.

Somehow when you hurt together, it doesn't hurt less, but it is easier to bear. Ecclesiastes 4:12 says that a cord of three strands is not easily broken. How about our small group cord of 12 strands? BRICK HOUSE!

1 comment:

Snaggle Tooth said...

I think just before the anniversary is worse 9 at least for me) than the actual Day, because the anticipation weighs on the grief that you'll always relive.
My Mom's been gone for 8 years already, but I always feel that way before the time again-
I wasn't as attached to worship then as I am now either, I'm certain my Mother's love has pushed me this direction to choose to love God more-