Monday, March 16, 2009

It only gets worse before it gets better -- you are not alone

I find that when I am really challenged, and I am set to win, I find the most opposition.

You see I truly believe, I truly know that I am set to come out on top. As a Christ-follower, I know that God uses things others intend for evil for good. (Genesis 50:20) Joseph had to be a prisoner of the Pharaoh before he became second in charge. I know that God causes all things to work for good for those who are called according to His purpose (Romans 8:28). I know that I will have to endure many trials for a little while, but it will be followed by great joy (1 Peter 1:6).

I know that trials develop endurance, endurance develops character, and character develops hope. I know this hope does not disappoint. (Romans 5: 3-5)

I can go and quote scripture after scripture about why I should hang on. I can sing "Rescue is coming..."by David Crowder and "Hold Fast" by Mercy Me and know God is talking to me. Why? Why can I do that? Isn't it hard?

Yes, it is hard. But, I know this... every single time I have put myself in the hands of the Lord, he has NEVER disappointed. He never lets me down. How can I? Because the Lord is God, not a mere human, he is so much above us that we can't even grasp. He never changes. He never lets go, even when I do.

And being broken, going through the hard stuff, only makes it easier for me to lean on God, because in the words of Simon Peter "Lord, to whom shall we go, you have the words of eternal life." (John 6: 68) Men and women are just mere humans, made from dust, yet God created us, certainly he cares for us (eg: Matt 10:29-31).

One of the many ways He cares for us is through community. I have so many people who love me and care for me. And even though I know the Lord is always with me, it helps to know that so many people care as well. These friends help me to stay standing when it all seems impossible. They keep my eyes focused on the Lord when they dart elsewhere. They can "be Jesus" to me through their actions and heart.

So, yes, its gonna get worse, I know that... but I can confidently stand with God on my side and many friends to hold me up.

No comments: