Wednesday, April 18, 2007

My weekend "off"


This hideous picture of me and 3 other beautiful ladies was taken this past weekend in Aurora. I am the crazy looking one in pink on the left side of the photo. Saturday, Dave and I woke up at 8:30 am (seriously, I am not lying, and AM is not a typo, we can get up before noon) and headed off to Brady Elementary for Spring Family Fun Day (or whatever it was called.) We volunteered through Community 4:12 and ended up having a blast! We did not know what we were doing until we got there. I was assigned to the karaoke room, and Dave to the bingo room. We got to meet some great new people, have fun, and also help kids (and some adults) to have fun too!

Yes, I did karaoke. No, I am no Carrie Underwood or J-Lo. However, I did attempt to sing their songs, and tried to encourage kids to do so. The ones that did, had fun. My favorite was the one that sang "Since U Been Gone" because she screamed it at the top of her lungs! I also actually enjoyed the song by Gwen Stefani about candy. No, I will not be going out for American Idol anytime soon. Dave had fun at bingo, ask him about it.

Then I went to church. I brought all the left over food from Brady, and since I do hospitality it came in really handy. I cannot explain it, but I really really love to help set up. I also love passing communion and collection. I get this really great feeling inside, and its so awesome. I cannot describe it other than saying that God really meets me there. I was getting addicted, looking for other things to do to help out. Dave went home to take care of our dog and my dad's dogs.

Church itself was awesome. You should check out the message. It talks about how church is not a department store centered on you. You should really check it out. Also I love when we sing the updated song "On Christ the solid rock I stand, all other ground is sinking sand" it rocks.

Then Dave and I met some friends for bowling. It was probably some of the most fun I have had bowling in a long time. Everyone was really encouraging each other, and I could tell it was sincere, not just being nice. I found out that one of the guys started going to AA (16 days sober today! Thank you Jesus!) which is actually really good news.

When we got home, we actually got some housework done. It was a really good, full day.

The next day we took Dave's buddy Steve fishing for the very first time. (Sorry the fish weren't biting Steve.) They met up with a couple of Dave's other friends at the lake by his parents. I hung out with his sister and our nieces. Dave's sister did our catering at the wedding. She rocks. Well, Sunday, she made homemade fried chicken and mashed potatoes, with carrots (best I ever had), salad and fruit salad. Then some brownies!!!! I loved everything. We all had a great time visiting, then we took Steve home.

I had an action packed weekend. This weekend coming up.... I work....

1 comment:

Neo said...

XRC - Sounded like fun. As for AA, I'll drink to that! J/K... :)

Fishing doesn't sound like a bad idea either if it starts to warm up out here in Philly. It's been a few years since I've gone. It really is the most relaxing thing to do on lazy weekends.

Peace,

- Neo