Thursday, February 12, 2009

Idolatry, Holiness, and One Night Stands

Its funny how you think about somethings, and then read about them the next day.

Today I was reading how following other people, putting them above God is IDOL WORSHIP. Because the definition of idolatry is worshiping something created instead of the Creator.

Imagine walking into Home Depot, Menard's, or Lowe's and walking out with some wood. Say you come home and turn that wood into a statue. Then you take the statue and start talking to it, praying to it and worshiping it. Putting your faith in man is no better. God created it.

I'm at work (while we had some down time) reading, while my co-worker is reading a book by Chelsea Handler about her one night stands. Eventually she asks me "so, what you reading?" And I show her the cover and it reads "The Holiness of God." To which I answer, "pretty much the opposite of what you are reading." She goes "yeah."

I realized that my aspirations and dreams and goals and all of the things that I value in my life are completely opposite of most of the world. Here I am pondering the holiness of God while someone else is laughing at another woman's sexual exploits published for the world to read.

Oh how far I have come.

God, save us all.

I long to get close to you, know you more.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

XRC -

People don't care anymore. Take a good swift look around this world and see how we've all fallen. And none of us is without sin. It's the illusion of ourselves being better than those sitting next to us that make us feel superior and more important in the perception of what God is to us.

God has forgotten, and with good reason. If you were him would you lay claim to this worlds massive disappointment?

Would you raise your hand and say "Yeah I created all of this, and as a big thank you they stuck up their middle finger to me?"

Your friends book about "One night stands," seems quite fitting. Maybe the seven days of creation was God's one night stand gone wrong.

Think about it...

Shelley said...

Yes, we have fallen, and God knows we are only dust. That is why he sent his son Jesus. He does lay claim to this world despite how many people have turned their back on them.

Don't believe me? I dare you to read the Bible.

God's ways are higher than our ways and his thoughts are higher than our thoughts. He is not a man, he is the creator of heaven and earth!

Snaggle Tooth said...

I pray when I drive to work every day. I often have that similar to to your thought- "I wonder how many of these people I'm on the road with right now are praying out loud?"
People have the music blasting, are illegally on the cell phone, n lost in their own thoughts.

Not many, maybe none, are praying. Most who pray ask for safety or something else, not just to show devotion, acknowledgement, n to be heard, to keep the communication open. It can be a lonely thought, "no one else is in this club-" I do feel like that on my drives.

Those who don't feel the company of God's spirit can't understand, n you can't change them- they have to!

Shelley said...

2 Chronicles 30:6-9 (New International Version)

6 At the king's command, couriers went throughout Israel and Judah with letters from the king and from his officials, which read:
"People of Israel, return to the LORD, the God of Abraham, Isaac and Israel, that he may return to you who are left, who have escaped from the hand of the kings of Assyria. 7 Do not be like your fathers and brothers, who were unfaithful to the LORD, the God of their fathers, so that he made them an object of horror, as you see. 8 Do not be stiff-necked, as your fathers were; submit to the LORD. Come to the sanctuary, which he has consecrated forever. Serve the LORD your God, so that his fierce anger will turn away from you. 9 If you return to the LORD, then your brothers and your children will be shown compassion by their captors and will come back to this land, for the LORD your God is gracious and compassionate. He will not turn his face from you if you return to him."