Wednesday, November 5, 2008

History in the making

Indeed this is history in the making. I won't divulge my vote, I don't think anyone needs to know that, and this has nothing to do with how I voted. I am blogging about my feelings. Please don't attack politics, because this is not about that.

I do believe that I shed a tear yesterday because of a memory. After listening to Obama's speech (I got home just in time to pop the TV on to the start of it) I shed a tear. My heart was flying back to my childhood.

I remember when I was a child, idealistic, and sure of myself. I knew something back then that came true last night. I remember thinking as a child "I am going to be alive when a black man is elected president... I wonder how old I will be?" Last night I said "dear little Shelley, you are 32 years old, and in 2009 what you wondered about will be the truth." Maybe it was Barack talking about the centurion voter, and all the changes she experienced in her lifetime, maybe it is just that I have always been a history buff, and this was history in the making. Maybe it is just because I came home from my support group and was in the mood to care for my inner child. I realized that I was experiencing history.

Yes, it was from my bed. I was not downtown Chicago, like so many others I will find out were. I am not insane enough to be drawn into a crowd that size, I could not handle it. I am perfectly content watching history on my TV, much like when we first bombed Iraq years ago. I like to observe, make my own conclusions, but am glad I am not right there at that very moment. Besides, I could see the look in his eyes, something that I am sure was very difficult to see in Grant Park last night through anything but... a tv monitor.

Funny, when I turned on the TV, Dave said "well I guess he won." It was not that important to us who won. Yes, we voted, no I am not telling you who for. What we know, what we believe, made it so that we were firm things would be okay. You see, God is sovereign. No matter who is elected, God will use him to serve God's purposes.

No matter who you voted for, pray for Barack Obama and Joe Biden, and all of our newly elected politicos that they may use their wisdom and experience and leadership for the good of our country, for the good of the world.

Welcome, boys and girls, to history in the making. Enjoy it.

3 comments:

ZoeyBella said...

I'll be 34 this month. I thought I would be much older before something this happened. I'm pleased to see that America is changing for the better. Makes me proud to say I was born in the USA.

Snaggle Tooth said...

After work that night I couldn't wait to see the news n hear some of the speech.
Because there have been black prez's on TV n movies ("24" "Deep Impact") I think it helped some folks accept the idea.
I won't say how old I am, but it is about time. Just hope he does a good job with our bad situation.

He's very smart, n that's the most important thing!

Anonymous said...

exciting change...whether you voted for him or not, you have to admit it's pretty amazing