Tuesday, December 1, 2009

The One Way Plate: Ponderings on Jesus and scripture and me

 So, I am trying to get back into the habit of connecting with God and scripture on a daily basis.  One of the ways I will do this is by reading a handy dandy devotional I got at Goodwill.  "Praying with Jesus" by Eugene Peterson.  I like how its small and short, and while I never really got into devotionals that aren't down-right deep studies before, this one seems to fit my plate. 

For those of you who know me, you know that I have had a very full plate lately.  Very full.  So full in fact it kind of upset my psychiatrist, or at least that is what I saw.  I had been doing so well, and I was taking on too much.  So much so that I was losing control of my life.  Now  I have read somewhere that God is supposed to be the plate, not just something I put on the plate.  This is an attempt for me to remember the plate is still there underneath all the other stuff.  I want to gnaw on it all day, remember scripture as the plate gets hard to carry.

Some days I cannot even fathom to connect or understand what I read.  Its like I read the words, but they went in one eye and out the other, I just can't remember them.  Some days it hits me over the head again and again and again.  I want to connect so desperately to my God, my Creator and Sustainer.  Lord help me to always remember you.

today's verse to chew on:

John 16: 8 "And He, when He comes, will convict the world concerning sin and righteousness and judgment;"

Oh how too often the world tells us how things should be and who did what wrong and how.  Oh how I am always so very guilty in assuming I know what is right and judging people at first glance.  I am the secret psycho analyst, analyzing everyone and why they have the problems they do.  (Not that I know how to fix it other than lots of therapy with a professional, and possible pharmaceutical intervention.)

I need to be reminded daily that the world will be judged by the standard of God, and the only ones to excape the punishment are the ones that have Jesus taking on their sins.

No matter what you believe, I know this is true, one way statement: the only way to Heaven is through Christ Jesus, and I am not afraid to say it.  I am afraid that you might try to persecute me, but I will just have to deal.  Its not me you are persecuting, its my God, so whom shall I fear? 

Me, yes, I need to change my ways.  I am supposed to reflect Christ, and so I beg for help and forgiveness.  But I also know that since God is the plate, He is not just carrying my load, he is carrying me... I am on that plate.  I know that I need to stop trying to play waitress and just enjoy the feast.

There is so much in this world that needs love and yet thinks they are all alone, or that they are the plate.  And you know that just brings no answers, no hope.  But there is hope.  Never give up, never surrender... except to the Lord.

No comments: